The social value forum includes people from the third, independent and statutory sector services who are exploring how to promote social value in public services.
Social value development resources
North Wales Social Value Forum Steering Group
Part 2, Section 16 of the Social Services and Well-Being (Wales) Act 2014 places a duty upon local authorities with local health board partners, to:
establish regional forums to support social value based providers to develop a shared understanding of the common agenda, and to share and develop good practice. The aim of this forum is to encourage a flourishing social value sector which is able and willing to fulfil service delivery opportunities.
In summary the act requires local authorities to promote:
- The development of social enterprises and co-operative organisations in its area to provide care and support and preventative services;
- The involvement of persons for whom care and support or preventative service are to be provided in the design and operation of that provision;
- The availability in its area of care and support and preventative services from third sector organisations (whether or not the organisations are social enterprises or co-operative organisations)
A regional steering group was established in North Wales in 2016 to support local authorities and partners with the delivery of the requirements through:
- Working with the North Wales Social Value Network to promote the development of not for private profit organisations (including social enterprises, co-operative organisations, co-operative arrangements, user led service and the third sector) to provide care and support and support for carers, and preventative services.
- Promoting collaboration with an aim of maximising social value and co-production across all providers delivering health, social care and/or well-being services in North Wales.
- Promoting partnership and networking opportunities across sectors
- Identifying and sharing good practice; influencing practice development and innovative approaches with commissioners and procurement departments to commission and procure services which deliver social value.
Governance and accountability
The steering group are accountable to the Regional Partnership Board and together with the Social Value Network produced a progress report in March 2019.
A working definition of ‘Social Value’ has been agreed to support local Forum development across North Wales
Bethan Jones Edwards – Head of Regional Collaboration
Phone: 01824 712432