A huge thank you to everyone who has contributed to the Learning Disability Strategy. Over 300 people helped to write the strategy and information about it reached many more. The strategy is now finished and is making its way through the formal approval processes. The strategy consultation reports are now on our website and we will publish the strategy here as soon as it’s approved.
To help put the strategy into action we have successfully bid for £1.7 million from the Welsh Government transformation fund. The project will run until 2020 and carry out the five work packages in the strategy.
- Integrated structures: Making sure health and social services work together better to support people with learning disabilities.
- Workforce development: Making sure staff know how to communicate well with people with learning disabilities and change services to make them easier to use. This will help people get the health care they need. Make sure people who want support in Welsh can get it without having to ask.
- Commissioning and procurement: Work with other organisations to make sure we have the types of housing and support people need.
- Community and culture change: Work with the local community to make sure people with learning disabilities can access lots of different activities and meet new people if they want to. Help more people with learning disabilities to get paid jobs.
- Assistive technology: Find ways to use technology like alarms and mobile phones to support people to be more independent.
- The project team jobs are being advertised on Flintshire County Council’s website.
- Opportunities for an organisation or consortium of organisations to evaluate and provide a ‘critical friend’ role to support and challenge the project are being advertised on Sell2Wales.
- Opportunities for providers to be involved in the provider forum will be advertised on our website.
Congratulations to the award-winning Learning Disability Participation Group!
The group picked up the award at the All Wales People First Mirror Awards 2018 in recognition of their outstanding contribution to reflection and learning. They have had done a great job helping to shape the Learning Disability Strategy and producing the strategy in Easy Read Welsh and English. Congratulations!
For more information
The latest information about the strategy and what’s happening next can be found on our learning disability webpage.
Any updates will be shared with our Learning Disability Strategy mailing list. If you’d like to be added to this list contact firstname.lastname@example.org