Lead Organisation: North Wales Together
The research was carried out by the North Wales Together Learning Disability Transformation Programme on behalf of the North Wales Learning Disability Partnership Group. The research arose from the North Wales Learning Disability Strategy and the emphasis on the importance of getting transition from secondary school to post-16 options and opportunities right for young people with learning disabilities.
The purpose of the research was to understand how well North Wales is currently meeting the individual development needs of young people with learning disabilities and where improvement is needed. The research concludes with a set of recommendations for partners across health, social services, education, employment and skills and the Welsh Government.
Amongst the findings were:
- The need to ensure that transition planning is holistic and includes all the life areas that are important to young people with learning disabilities such as friendships and relationships, being independent, and having a job.
- The importance of transition being joined up across health, social services and education
- Improvement to the supported employment offer for the region so that all young people have the right support to find paid employment
- The need to improve the post-16 offer for young people with profound and multiple learning disabilities.
The research package includes:
- The full research report, the executive summary, and an easy read version in both English and Welsh.
- A Good Practice Guide in both English and Welsh.
The Good Practice Guide provides a snapshot of innovative initiatives aimed at enabling young people with learning disabilities to achieve what is important to them.
The Life After School digital resource – co-produced by young people with learning disabilities for young people with learning disabilities will be launched later this year! The resource is a collection of short videos aimed at young people with learning disabilities. Each clip looks at a different life area based on what young people have said is important to them when planning their next steps after school.
If you would like more information or want to get involved please get in touch at LDTransformation@flintshire.gov.uk.